Sofia

Monday, April 25, 2011

A Nicole Story - for all of you that have been missing the usual drama!

Well lots happened today...
We have been waiting for Sofia's SS cars so that we can file our taxes and it finally came on Fri. Called Friday, but I think they got the day off for Easter. OK so I call the tax office just in case they are open...YAY they are. So I get Sofia and I ready to leave...no problems..put the Sleep Sheep in the car to see if it would get her to sleep faster...and yes...So she got a pretty good nap.

On the way there was a bird.

It was a fledgling or soon enough it will be that somehow ended up in the middle of the road...no one is stopping and it is just freaked out and hopping around looking for shelter.
My heart broke...I threw it in reverse...pulled into the parking lot to my left and ran out to get the bird. Some lady had cautiously driven over it (uhhhh...just stop before you drive over it..pick it up and at least get it out of the road wtf!) Anyhow. I was going to put it back in a bush or whatever...but it had blood coming out of it's beak...a little. There is a guy filling a vending machine right by where I parked...I ask him for a box and tell him I will take it to a vet. He looks at me smiling...probably thinking "what a crazy Gaijin". Well for that matter probably everyone at the scene was thinking that!
OK so I need to make a side trip to Kadena vet. Real animal lover the lady at the front desk was...she was like "we will just put it to sleep, unless you want to pay for it" I was of course like OK I would pay...so then she seemed irritated that I would even bother her with an injured animal and was like I will have to see if there is even a vet that can deal with birds. I waited...I called the 3 people in my phone book to see if they had the number for Noah Vet...no one answered except Candice...and she didn't have the sacred yellow pages.
(Side note: The Sacred Yellow Pages - Obviously contains Yellow Pages, but also the only half way decent map of the island in English...side side note: there are barely road signs...the way you do it here is "oh yeah do you know where that Lawson or Kanehide is...it is near that" or some other store or place...it is ridiculous sometimes how hard it is to figure out where you are going-) It is issued to you when you get on island...If you lose it you are screwed because they are for some reason hard to get....of course Tom and I found a source - Toma's garage(car repair shop)
Of course my sacred yellow pages were at home...where they should be - tone of sarcasm implied here (uhhh). I am waiting for a while and realize I am like last on the list and they are never going to get to me. I wing it and actually find the Noah Vet right outside the Gate I was at! YAY!
Oh wait...they are closed...defeated again! Dang it!
Ok so I figure if the bird has internal injuries he is going to die anyway...there is nothing anyone can do for him or her, and at least I got it somewhere safe where it can die in peace...on the floor of my front passenger side listening to country music (uhhhhh cause that is all they play on the damn American station).
OK so back on track to get the taxes done. We get to the tax office...I realize it is too hot to leave the bird in the car, so it gets packed into the bottom of the stroller...the box fit just barely. No one asked or maybe they didn't even notice, but there we were in the tax office...getting a refund, Sofia was getting lunch and there is a bird possibly dying along with us.
We finally get home...no issues...bird is still alive. I get a new smaller box with some better cushioning...all I had in the car were 2 cloth diapers used for burp rags. I look online to see what I should do about food for this bird. Well no force feeding recommended and dog food mixed with water has been used in these types of situations. Ok I have some wet cat food. Deer flavor....cause it is kind of wrong to be feeding a bird chicken.
So I put the bird outside for a bit of familiar sounds and fresh air. Still alive. I bring it in for the night and put a heating pad under the box, and turn the lights off and close the door in the office. If not...I am sure Black Cat would find it and that would be the end of the line for sure. I went in to check a minute ago and he is near the food with his beak in it. I hope he can get some of it. I tried to put some on my finger to see if he would open his mouth, and I think I scared him cause he threw up! I quickly left him alone, but at least we know he is at least ok enough to throw up! He was asleep when I went in the time before, so I think he is Ok and maybe just needed to rest a bit. Will take it to the vet tomorrow, as I don't think he can fly yet. Will see what they have to say.
At least there wasn't another MacGyver diaper incident included in this day!

Well it is the next morning and the bird did not make it...I hope at least it was a better death than death by car tire or partial death by car tire.

No comments: