Well "Hi" to everyone, and thank you so much for all the well wishes! We are just starting to get some sleep around here and 
catch up on things. So I know you all want details so here
goes...So it was my water leaking at 3 am that morning of the 18th. We
decided to wait until contractions got bad or at least regular. That never happened, but what did happen scared the crap out of me - at around 3 pm my water broke...no no not even Hollywood style, but holy crap there is a lake around me, and I am on the floor trying to keep some in to cushion the baby! That was my first freak out episode....Tom held it together for me, and kept telling me it was ok, but 5 bath towels later I was really concerned that I had lost too much. At around 4 pm we headed to the hospital where our doula met us....I dripped my way to L & D apologizing to the staff about the floor. Had to walk with a towel between my legs which I am sure looked hilarious!Dr. examines me and "what?!" I am still only 3 cm. Good news is that now that you can feel the baby better the weight estimate dropped to high 7! Yay! We walk the typhoon ramp between intermittent fetal monitoring, and contractions set in. I think my doula has accurate times, but I think around 5 or 6 am the morning of the 19th I had to start pushing. I could not hold back the reverse vomit that was going on. Pushing contractions are so strong I really thought I was going to be hurled across the room! I was 9-10 cm, but I had a little bit of cervix left - I believe it was called an anterior lip. Anyhow this required that when I pushed the Dr. was trying to push the cervix around the babies head...can I just say "OUCH!".
Ok so Dr. shift change and I get the woman Dr. that I wanted! Yippee! Around 7-8 am after pushing Sofia down a little more the Dr. tells me that she is sideways and this is why we are not making much progress. Since I am on no drugs at this time she tells me there is nothing she can do to turn the kid - I just have to somehow summon superhuman strength after 14+ hours of labor and pushing...oh ok! I tried and tried, but I just did not have it in me anymore (2nd freak out). In comes the anesthesia man from heaven! I ended up getting a spinal just to get through the last 3 or so hours - it was fantastic! Weird to see my legs move and not feel them though! Now that I have drugs the Dr. proceeds to stick every finger possible into my personal space and tries to move the baby around with each push and even sometimes when I am not pushing. Tom stated that he really was not expecting the amount of blood that happened during all this. I didn't look too much down there...I don't even want to know! This is the 3rd freak out because I am pooping at every push, and I was so embarrassed! The only thing that sort of makes it better is that the Dr. said that is how she knew I was pushing right. I officially have no dignity left. At around 10 the Dr. was getting worried about infection occuring as my water had been broken for a while. She started talking about a forcep delivery, and I was not happy because she wanted to give me another 2 shots to help numb my area for that. Enter 4th total freak out/melt down. I kept pushing until I finally had to give into the shots - here comes the Dr. with a 10 inch needle - holy crap! Did not work to numb me, so forceps are out. Luckily...the spinal was wearing off, so I was starting to get some real good pushes in.
The last 4 contractions were the hardest because now is the time you don't push, but you need to push just enough to keep the baby from sliding back up...meanwhile she is literally between your legs....this hurts like hell! I had to get her out, so I was trying my hardest and finally after 4 or 5 contractions she finally made her way out at 11:43 am!
She was blue...her nickname is now Smurfette. They took her over and suctioned her lungs a few times, and did all the other regular stimulations, and finally we heard her cry. Tom was so excited and was telling me that we did it, and I was like crying and saying..."I am sorry, but I don't think I can do this again". HAHAHAHH
The kid decided to have her first poop and wee in the warmer while they were working on her...oh and this was only the beginning!
1 comment:
Amazing!!! You did so good Nicole! She is BEAUTIFUL and it looks like Tom was a great coach...beautiful family!
Post a Comment