


So the story continues...
We stayed at the hospital for 48 hours. They discharged Sofia with borderline jaundice and with instructions to put her on a "Bilibed" (phototherapy light bed that you can take home with you) constantly except for feedings. We had an appt. the next day for biliruben level check.
We had a really hard night, as she was sort of inconsolable and was not really happy with the bed situation.
At the next appt. we found out that biliruben levels had not changed much...not surprised as we only kept her down without crying for maybe 6 hours. What did surprise us was that she lost 14% of her body weight from birth. I was breast feeding like mad....nipples totally feeling it, so what was going on? Well were told to supplement with formula, as it was that my milk had not come in yet. Now I know that when your milk comes in your boobs have a mind of their own, and fire at will! Anyhow we supplemented for a few days with formula until my breastmilk finally came in 6 days after labor. Like I said - mind of their own!
Sofia had Dr. appts every day until the jaundice levels were down. We only had to use the bed one day after we supplemented. Apparently satisfied kids sleep well. Poor thing though had to get a heel stick every day as well. At least that is over now! We just had our final visit today, and thanks to breast milk Sofia gained about 3/4 lb over the weekend. We can now feed every 3 hours vice every 2, which can I say is very tiring!
She is starting to recognize us visually, and we had a smile today that wasn't while she was dreaming...it may have been just a coincidence, but I like to think she was actually smiling at me, and not having a involuntary reaction cause it was so heart melting!
Also included here is what happens after pregnancy...I won't even delve into the multitude of things going on with my abdominal area, but let me say it is quite interesting. The swollen ankles and feet were unexpected. I was wrong when I said my feet were swollen before...that was a joke compared to what did happen!
I am so glad to not have the extra weight in front though. I can touch my feet now, and sleep in many positions, and reach to get things without my belly dragging in them....this is in reference to the buffet we went to in which I was scooping out rice, and my belly landed in the water dish with the rice spoon in it. Lovely.
1 comment:
I wrote a long comment on your previous post, only to have a screen come up to tell me there were techincal difficulties and the message disappeared!
I will try to recap, shorter version, in saying that your experience took me back to 31+ years,when giving birth to you, and it is so vivid that it could have been yesterday. A miracle ... you ... and the fact that I was able to put together a short version of anything!! LOL
Sofia's pictures are beautiful, she is beautiful. Great pictures Dad! Your poor feet, another story. I feel for you my little munchkin!
I love the photo with her sound asleep and her mouth open. You always had a "binky" firmly held in place when you slept.
What beautiful big eyes, her profile seems to match Daddy's and her feet look like Mommy's??
Keep the comments and pictures coming, you'll never be able to send me tooooooo much.
Hugs and love to all,
Mom (& Grandma)
Post a Comment