Todays post is not so much about Sofia, as I have not had any interesting Dr. visits since we got here, and the only things that are going on are lots of movement (you can see it through my skin, and it is really freaky), belly is growing a lot, and I am tired and eating all the time! Instead I will talk about our journeys around town, as Sofia is with us.
This was our first semi non-rainy weekend in Okinawa, and we had a fabulous time! It will be a while before we can post pictures, as the card to get the photos from the camera is on its way here....still no word on that. Hopefully within a few weeks!
Tom got Sat. through Tues off! Sun. we went grocery shopping at Foster (40 min away from our base - Courtney), and then decided to go to a rug auction. We have linoleum tile floors throughout the house, so we are in desperate need of rugs. My favorite rug was worth 14K and sold for 3K ish, so obviously we came home empty handed, but it was lots of fun! It was raining so bad on our way in that even with an umbrella my clothes did not dry ever. We ran into a friend of Tom's from college there - that is always how it is from one base to the next! We met up with them for dinner at a Thai restaurant, which was great! They are on their way out to Rhode Island...oh well.
Mon. was rainy still, so we decided to go check out a few local stores. I guess my Japanese is still ok (could be much better- working on it) because I was able to get a toilet part and get an estimate on a kimono made from scratch with matching obi only using Japanese! Whoo hoo! So back to the shopping - this is the summary:
Makeman - Home Depot/Super Target. Very fun, and ice cream and shaved ice in garden center.
2 bird store (has a Japanese name, but we call it this because it has 2 birds) - AWESOME! Tom and my new favorite grocery store. We like the fresh fish, chunks of maguro (tuna) that make you drool for sushi, reasonable/cheap prices for the seafood, variety of sake, bento boxes...yummm, oh and I really like the bakery/cake section! I am sure Tom does, too. He is just worried it will start a routine of cakes in the house every day!
San A - Mall or big big Circuit City and mall squished together - AWESOME too! This is where I found the kimono maker and the shoe heaven for small footed people! We ate at the food court - Tom got a bowl of rice with nori (dried seaweed) and sashimi maguro, and side of soup. I got wakame (type of wet seaweed) udon. Super tasty! Tom wants to go back to electronics, and me back to the shoes, but I am waiting until after Sofia is born, as hopefully my feet will shrink back to non puffy status!
So we had more stores in mind, but were invited to a rooftop barbecue in our building, so we headed home. I was so tuckered out I took a 45 min nap before we made an appearance. We met 4 couples, and we are all pretty new to the island, so it is nice to make friends with people who aren't leaving soon. We think though most were Lieutenants and Captains, so not sure if Major is really supposed to be hanging out with them, but we will see what happens.
Not at the party - but there are 3 other women all due around the same time as me, so we are hoping to form a "mommy" group for support and friendship. Looking forward to it!
Tues. was finally sunny! We had to run to base hardware store (trying to get the Cat Genie hooked up, and having some issues). While we were there we checked out the Scuba store and the Furniture store (infested with mold - totally not buying anything from there). Wasn't much selection anyhow. Found out that we can't even order parts we need, so having Lowe's ship us plumbing parts and rugs. We will see how that goes! After about noon we decided to get on the road (stopping at the 2 bird store for bento lunch)to Bios on the Hill. Natural park place with boat and canoe rides, big orchid nursery (Bobbie you will just be in heaven), goats, pigs, chickens, water buffalo (to feed and to take a cart ride), and wooden jungle gyms and swings for kids to play. Beautiful scenery...Tom got lots of pics. I was expecting a little more from the boat ride, but no biggie. We got to feed the goats and water buffalo...that was fun! This will be a great place to take Sofia when she can walk and stuff. At the end we entered the orchid nursery, and OMG - BEAUTIFUL! They also had a basin of water that had the fish that will eat the dead skin off your feet! Did not try as I was in sneakers, but hilarious! We will go back to buy a few orchids once I get the patio set up, and maybe I will try the fish then! We were there until about 5 pm. We headed back...feet totally swollen and feeling like cement blocks stuck to my legs! Got a few bites from mosquitoes while there, but I was able to smack down 2 to their death after as they were sucking on me - those commi bas%&*(s!
Today I woke up itching, and Sofia is still moving and kicking me...she has laid off the bladder some thank goodness!
Next weekend pending sun we are going to Ikei island to take a scenic drive and relax on the beach!
Dr. appt Thurs, and we are also starting a Japanese class on Thurs night.
Until next post - we miss all of you!
No comments:
Post a Comment